Telco switches to Ubuntu from RHEL for one reason...

I moved from Gentoo to Ubuntu last year, mainly because all I wanted
was to use my TV Card at the time and compiling every last package was
getting me down; Fedora/RH, SuSE, Madriva and a couple of other
distributions I tried at the time were slow, and bogged down with lots
of needless processes, not clean and there was no polish on the
desktop versions so any tools or configuration panels were almost
incidental rather than purposeful.