Fedora 7 and lv problems

Scott Ehrlich wrote:
> I have a laptop running FC7 installed out-of-box with /boot as its own
> partition and swap and / under Linux LVM.
>
> I now need to access /etc/passwd to force-change the password to blank
> to log into an account.   Knoppix 5.1.1 can see the lvm via lvdisplay
> but cannot do anything with it.
>
> What CD/DVD can I use/burn than can help me mount the lvm successfully
> and change the /etc/passwd file?

There's a 50MB rescue image that is in the same torrent as the CD/DVD install
 images (ie
http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/distributions/fedora/linux/releases/7/Fedora/i386/iso/
)

Alternatively, you can boot from the hard drive into single user mode, which
does not require the root password but gives a root shell (which is why you
should use a grub password...).  To boot into single-user mode, you want to
add an argument to the kernel command line: the word "single"  (to do this
with grub, select the kernel you want to boot using the arrow keys, then hit
'e', select the "kernel /" line, then hit 'e' again, then add the argument,
then hit enter, then 'b' to boot up.

HTH,
Matt

believed to be clean.