Ubuntu weird characters in PuTTY

Jerry Feldman wrote:
> I'm wondering if the problem is Putty. That was my initial thought.
> In The Putty configuration panel for that session, check the font under
> Window/Appearance. Mine is Courier New 11-pixel. Also Under
> Translation, look at the line drawing settings.

I'm using Lucida Sans Typewriter, but I don't see how that would make a
difference.

The messages that are causing the problem are spam, but they still find
their way into my inbox, which then screws up mutt.  The specific
messages seem to be multipart/alternative, with the text/plain part (the
part mutt tries to display) having these headers:

They then just contain a bunch of character which, viewed in less, look
like this:

<CA><D0><CE><C2> <A0><A0><A0>

etc., etc.

The galling thing is that I never had this problem using the same PuTTY
with mutt on the Mandrake 10.0 system.  So clearly Ubuntu is either
recognizing the terminal differently, or ...

Aha!  I've just change the mutt settings (.muttrc) to allow8bit and set
the charset to iso-8859-1, and now the funky characters are showing up
as question marks, not screwing up my display.  This wasn't necessary
with Mandrake, but apparently it is now with Ubuntu.  In any case, it
now appears I can view (and delete) these messages safely.

Thanks for all suggestions and info!

-pd

--
--------