high false positive with Gmail

Bill Bogstad wrote:
> I've been seeing this with Gmail for a LONG time.  For me, it always
> seems to be email that came via a mailing list.

As I noted, all the messages in questions were sent via mailing lists.

I guess this makes sense, given the system Gmail uses, as described in
their anti-spam research paper[1].

Due to the way mailing lists redistribute messages, there generally
won't be an association between the machine sending the message to Gmail
and the author of the message, so Gmail classifies the message as
unauthenticated, and subjects it to statistical filtering. (I'm
speculating on the last bit, as the research paper didn't specify what
they did with unauthenticated messages.)

Although I assume they authenticate the SMTP sender address, not the
address in the message itself, and for a typical mailing list the SMTP
sender address should be something that can be authenticated against the
sending machine. So this still leaves me puzzled why it has problems
with mailing lists.

1. A link to the paper and my summary of it appears here:
http://lists.blu.org/pipermail/discuss/2007-March/052766.html

> I should note that my email is forwarded to Gmail from pobox.com so
> Google's servers always see pobox.com servers as the previous hop.

That's definitely problematic. As I recall, they strongly encourage
users to spam filter mail before forwarding it.

If you didn't want Gmail to spam filter the forwarded messages (and it
sounds like you do), you could change the way they get forwarded such
that the SMTP envelope carried your pobox.com address. Then you should
be able to whitelist that.

> I just cleaned out my Spam box on Gmail and there were over 100
> messages that were incorrectly marked as spam all from the same
> mailing lists which I have religiously marked as non-spam for
> over a year now.

If those messages are not only from a mailing list, but also being
forwarded through your pobox.com account, then that's understandable.

When you whitelist a sender, you're whitelisting the author of the
message (or more likely the SMTP sender), not the sending machine. And
in order for that whitelist to apply, the sender needs to be
authenticated, which won't happen in the cases of forwarded messages.

I'll keep an eye on my spam folder over the next few months and see if
the situation improves now that I've provided feedback into the system.
If it doesn't, I'll look into the headers and see why Gmail isn't
authenticating the senders.

  -Tom

--
Tom Metro