Ubuntu weird characters in PuTTY

Peter Davis wrote:

> Jerry Feldman wrote:
>> Check your Putty configuration under Window/Translation. It is probable
>> that Ubuntu is using UTF-8 and Mandrake is using ISO 8859 or some other
>> locale setting.
>>

> Aha!  Change the PuTTY settings, instead of changing the OS settings.
> At first blush, that appears to work.

Oops.  On second blush, it's not so easy.  I've reset PuTTY to UTF-8,
but there are still some subject lines and message bodies that are
screwing up the cursor positioning, etc. of mutt.  (I can't remember if
mutt uses curses or does its own screen/cursor handling.)  In addition,
it appears I'm getting extra spaces in some of the subject lines.  I
think mutt can't handle utf-8, even if PuTTY can.

So I guess I'm back to trying to reset the system to use 7-bit
characters.  Ideas?  I've looked at the stty options, but I don't see
anything that's obvious to me.

Thanks,
-pd

--