SSH server on Ubuntu 7.04

On 7/7/07, Kristian Hermansen <kristian.hermansen-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:

> On 7/7/07, Peter Davis <pfd-BsdhSnS8rnmgSpxsJD1C4w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> > Is there something I'm overlooking?  Is there something I can use on the
> > Ubuntu side to see what's happening to the connection attempt, and why
> it's
> > timing out?
>
> Ubuntu is secure by default, and thus, does not install any listening
> services that are unnecessary.  It is possible that someone may find a
> vulnerability in SSH that is widely exploitable someday.  However, you
> just want to do...
>
> $ sudo aptitude install openssh-server
>
> You can also test this with netcat...
>
> $ nc <your_ip> 22
>
> > Ultimately, I want to use PuTTY to connect to the machine from other
> sites,
> > to check e-mail, etc.  I had all this working with the old machine.
>
> Mandrake probably had SSH installed by default...

Thanks, Kristian.  I did install openssh-server, and it appears to be
running.  sshd shows up in the process list, and "Remote shell server (ssh)"
shows up in the Services settings panel.  The nc command just returned with
no visible output at all.  But I still can't connect.

Thanks!

-pd

believed to be clean.