Internet service and power outages?

On Thu, Jun 28, 2007 at 11:22:50PM -0400, Rich Braun wrote:
> Scott Ehrlich <scott-DPNOqEs/LNQ at public.gmane.org>
> > Now, DSL is phone-line offered.   If the central office has its own power
> > source, and I have mine, if power did go out, I should still have
> > uninterrupted Internet service unless/until my UPS dies.   Yes or no?
>
> Hmm, your post got me to wondering what the applicable DOCSIS standard is on
> this particular matter.  But I came up empty trying to find it (at
> cablemodem.com and/or Google).  I know the service here (Comcast in Cambridge)
> works when the power's out.  But I don't know for how long, and I don't know
> if it meets the same standard as telco distribution equipment standards (12 or
> 24 hours of battery time, I think).  Very likely you'd have to have a monster
> UPS to last longer than the ones installed by cable companies.

I don't think it's part of any technical standard per se, but there are federal
E911 regulations about local phone service availability that mandate how long
the phones have to run without power, and since Comcast/RCN/et al offer local
phone service, I believe they are bound by those regulations.

-b

--
simplicity is the most difficult thing to secure in this world; it is the
last limit of experience and the last effort of genius.     <george sand>

believed to be clean.