Ubuntu versions

On Wed, 20 Jun 2007, Kristian Hermansen wrote:

> On 6/20/07, Scott Ehrlich <scott-3s7WtUTddSA at public.gmane.org> wrote:
>> Has anyone tried a server version on a laptop?   As I think I'd mentioned
>> before, I'm using may laptop at home as a server.   The only way I've been
>> able to prevent the hard drive, and maybe the NIC, from powering down, is
>> to establish a cron job every 12 hours - 1100 for an updatedb, and 2300
>> for an ntp query.
>
> You should be able to disable or uninstall the "laptop mode" functionality.
>
> $ aptitude search laptop
>
> You probably have laptop-detect, laptop-mode, and laptop-mode-utils
> installed.  If laptop-detect has a return status of 0, it thinks you
> have a laptop.
>
> $ laptop-detect
> $ echo $?
>
> Next thing to do is disable it if you like.  See what's in the config
> below and change to "no" if you want to disable the settings...
>
> $ cat /etc/default/laptop-mode
>
> There are more options, but let me know if non of these work for you...
>
>> I wonder if the server-based 7.04 would view my laptop (Compaq Armada
>> m700) differently and NOT spin down the drive and power off the nic?
>> Or, even if it was a different laptop, having the same events occur?
>
> Even if the above does not work, you can also change the scripts
> manually in /etc/acpi/ such that your power management acts exactly as
> you wish...
> --

Well, for what it's worth:

  sudo aptitude search laptop
Password:
p   education-laptop                - DebianEdu laptop packages
p   klaptopdaemon                   - battery monitoring and management
for lapt
i   laptop-detect                   - attempt to detect a laptop
p   laptop-mode                     - laptop-mode aims to reduce the power
consu
i   laptop-mode-tools               - Scripts to spin down hard drive and
save p
p   laptop-net                      - Automatically adapt laptop ethernet
p   laptop-net-doc                  - Automatically adapt laptop ethernet
- docu
p   laptop-netconf                  - network detection and configuration
progra
scott at scott-laptop:~$ laptop-detect
scott at scott-laptop:~$ echo $?
1

ls /etc/default
acpid         console-setup  icecast2~                        rsync
acpi-support  cupsys         klogd                            snmpd
alsa          dbus           linux-restricted-modules-common  ssh
apmd          devpts         locale                           syslogd
apport        gdm            ntp                              tmpfs
avahi-daemon  hal            ntpdate                          useradd
bluetooth     halt           nvidia-kernel
bootlogd      hplip          pmi
brltty        icecast2       rcS

As for /etc/acpi, I chmod 000'd all the scripts.

Any other ideas?  It would be nice to not have to use cron to keep the
system in server mode vs laptop mode.

Thanks.

Scott

believed to be clean.