Ubuntu versions

Kristian Hermansen wrote:
> Tom Metro wrote:
>> However, the server distribution may be based off of an older Ubuntu
>> release...
>
> Not true.  The server version is released in coordination with every
> desktop release...

OK, thanks for the clarification. I guess the exception here is the LTS
version, which by its "long term" nature, at any given moment, may be
based on a version that's one or more releases old.

> If you have local users on the server, I wouldn't recommend a GUI,
> since those bugs are easy to elevate privileges from.

I wouldn't recommend a GUI on a server either, but David has previously
explained that his main machine needs to be a compromise of desktop and
server. My suggestion of using a VM for the server portion would have to
be combined with (preferably hardware) firewall rules that permit only
the server VM to receive inbound connections from the WAN. It also is
far more practical to run SELinux with highly restrictive rules on a VM
that has only a few specific functions, rather than on a general purpose
desktop.

  -Tom

--
Tom Metro