OK, you win.

On 6/17/07, David Kramer <david-8uUts6sDVDvs2Lz0fTdYFQ at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> Yes, I looked at the documentation.  It doesn't explicitly say whether
> these installs feed from different repositories, or a single repository,
> or whatever.

All binaries/sources come from the same repositories for both versions...

> If you install the desktop version, can you then install all server
> stuff from the repository?

Yes.  The only real difference between Ubuntu Desktop and Server are
that the server version does not include a GUI in the default
installation (the ubuntu-desktop meta-package, which is a wrapper for
Gnome and friends), but can be installed later if required.  The
server version also comes with an optimized kernel for server tasks.
You can read more about it here:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/KernelServerRoadmap

> Is there any downside to doing that, like you won't get notified of
> updates, etc?

No.  Both the Server and Desktop versions can be automatically updated
any way you choose by specifying the proper options in the APT
configuration files.  You will probably want to only allow auto-update
of security patches, and not all package updates, to reduce possible
issues.  If you need help with that, post back here in a new thread if
you can't find the info from googling...

> If I install MySQL, will I be arrested as a Communist?

Only if some members of this list find out :-)  Give PostgreSQL a try though...
--
Kristian Hermansen

believed to be clean.