OK, you win.

On Sun, 17 Jun 2007, David Kramer wrote:

> I have been trying to get Fedora 7 running on my new Dell Latitude D820
> (2.0Ghz Intel dual core, 2GB RAM, 160GB hard drive) for a few weeks now,
> and everything is working great, except for power management.  Much like
> my daughter, I simply can't get it to sleep and wake up on command.

My Linux road -

I started with Slackware and Debian 10+ years ago.

Now, FC5 at work, then tried upgrading to FC6 when it just came out, only
to have it break on me during a yum upgrade.

I then learned about CentOS 4.4 and fell in love with it, until it, too,
broke and wouldn't let me fix it.   I then opted for Ubuntu, and am
currently running it without a problem.

For home, the deal maker for me, thus far, has been that if a package
breaks, and I cannot figure an easy way to undo the damage, Synaptic
package manager under 7.04 lets me filter by "broken", removes the
offending package(s) and the system is immediately brought back to a
workable state.

My 64-bit Athlon desktop with 512 MB RAM and my Compaq Armada M700 P3 @
700 Mhz both run really well with Ubuntu 7.04.  The Armada acts like a
server for me.  I've been unable to get the laptop to NOT get out of sleep
mode if left untouched for about a week except to touch a key on the
console. To get around that, I've set up two cron jobs on it - one to
perform an ntp query at 2300 (keep the network card awake), and another to
perform an updatedb at 1100 (keep the hard drive awake).  So far, so good.

That's my story to-date.

My wife's and parents' computer both run XP home.   As long as theirs
don't break, they get to keep it ;-)   My G3 Mac is a paperweight, though
it works fine.

Scott

believed to be clean.