My AMD Athlon 64x2 upgrade

On 6/16/07, Mike <lake.wind77-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> I recently upgraded my computer to an AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual
> Core architecture also. I initially tried using Ubuntu Feisty
> 64 bit version but ran into a few minor problems with some of
> the multimedia codecs (or lack thereof), flash plugin and the

Codecs are there, but not enabled by default due to licensing
restrictions.  However, all the codecs are available from official
repositories by going to System -> Administration -> Software Sources
(or editing your APT sources manually).  However, you won't need any
codecs should you choose to utilize VLC of course :-)

> fact that there is no 64 bit version of Thunderbird 2.0
> available (more of an annoyance really, not a problem). So at
> this point I'm back to running the 32 bit version of Ubuntu
> Feisty 7.04 and I'm happy with that for the time being.

Thunderbird 2.0 is included in Ubuntu Gutsy, not Feisty, since it was
still beta on release date.  You could always install from source,
grab a backport, or find someone's pre-packaged AMD64 DEB if you
really can't wait.  You have the power...

> I'm interested in finding out if you were able to get the
> multimedia codecs and plugins working properly with the 64 bit
> version of Firefox. Also, does the latest shockwave flash
> plugin work properly? If so I may give it another try.

Yes.  You can either go through the nspluginwrapper setup manually, or
grab this script to install Flash for you on AMD64 Feisty:

http://home.comcast.net/~ubuntume/nsplugin-wrapper-install-0-1.1.tar.gz

Of course, the only thing that does not work is the Sun Java plugin.
I have heard that a 64-bit native version will be out by year's end.
So, again, AMD64 is not as unusable as you think -- you just have to
work a little bit harder when dealing with closed sources :-)  I run
AMD64 Ubuntu Gutsy right now...
--
Kristian Hermansen

believed to be clean.