Looking for a Triple DES implementation

Robert L Krawitz wrote:
> The point is that code reviews by other people who can read code but
> who don't understand the problem domain *in detail* aren't helpful.
> Knowing what the code does isn't useful if you don't understand what
> the entire system has to do.

You are preaching to the choir.  I am a big Agile guy.  That's not the
way things work in my current company, though, and that's not going to
change.

>    Not understanding security code is a BIG no-no, and IMNSHO should be
>    a firable offense.  If you don't understand, you should ask someone
>    or find someone who does.   Granted, I've been in the software security
>    industry since before such an industry existed (I've been in Security
>    since 1990), so I'm perhaps a little biased.  I've been paid upwards of
>    $400/hr to fix these kinds of problems after companies have lost real
>    money due to poor use of cryptography.

I am walking a fine line here because I would rather not talk ill of my
company or my co-worker.  I am also in a different group than he is, but
I plan on bringing this up with the appropriate people.  There are
several problems here that I hope to address; the code is just a small
part of it.

> It's one of those specialties that really demands an expert who
> understands security in the entire depth.  A strong encryption
> algorithm used improperly may be hardly better than nothing at all;
> ECB when you need to encrypt more data than the length of a code
> symbol is basically a glorified ROT13 (a simple substitution cypher).
> I say this as one who is an experienced software engineer, but not a
> security expert -- I would certainly not trust myself with security
> code.

I've done some limited, low-risk crypto work.  I've implemented
weak(ish) crypto in non-critical applications (eg: the crypto is more
like a way of generating a hash than keeping something secret), but even
then I outlined the flaws so anyone else reading the code knew them.

This talk of absolutes and black and white is reminiscent of the MySQL
discussion that is thankfully winding down.

believed to be clean.