Freeware - Exercise in futility?

All that ranting! Youse guys are making me even more depressed than I
already am!

1. If freeware (various flavors of Linux, PostgreSQL, etc.) cannot win
the day against Micro$oft and the other for profit application makers
and distributers, then what hope is there for the individual? If
freeware ever does win the day, then it becomes the "ultimate" ruler or
measure and Micro$oft becomes just as much a victim as anyone else.
Really both cases (freeware, not so freeware) present the same problem.

2. Linux lacks so very many of the bells and whistles of MS Windows,
especially printer drivers, but more and more these days the so called
interactive technology drivers. The biggest challenge(s) facing Linux
remains ease of deployment and use.

3. Mostly people do not want a research platform on/in a pin head, they
just want a new and shiny thingy to have for their very own. And, and -
IT"S MINE! IT"S MINE! YOU CAN"T HAVE IT!!! IT"S MINE!  ;-)

4. I never have felt inspired to support/create a freeware project. I'm
not even sure I have ever had an original creative thought.

5. Can Linux promote world peace? If so, how?

cheers!

believed to be clean.