Your opinion or some technology..

On Tue, Jun 12, 2007 at 03:04:46PM -0400, Myrle Francis wrote:
> Hey guys,
> I was wondering if anybody had any opinions on the New Sony Reader.
> http://www.tabletpcreview.com/default.asp?newsID=365
>
> the last lamp book I just read was like 500pgs and I'm thinking maybe this
> would be the way to go...
> I thinks its $350 so maybe a new laptop would be better?

Laptops do different things.

I looked at the Sony Reader and bought a Nokia N800. The Nokia
runs Linux, has an 800x480 color screen, 802.11b/g, takes two SD
cards, and will go for about 4 hours of continuous book reading
between recharges. It uses a standard Nokia cellphone battery
and a reasonably standard Nokia cellphone charger. It can
establish a BlueTooth link to a cellphone to use it as a modem,
and it can play MP3s and videos. There is an active open source
development community, and Nokia's developers are active on the
mailing lists. It fits in my pocket, but the screen is large
enough to be comfortable.

I installed FBreader and I can read pretty much every open ebook
format in existence. HTML, PDF, RTF, text, and a bunch more.

All this at a cost of about $30 more than the Sony.

The Sony has the nifty eInk display, and a better battery life.
That's about it.

If you want a more laptop-like experience, there's the new Linux
box from Palm.

-dsr-

--

believed to be clean.