Centos5 and X respawning problem

On Mon, Jun 11, 2007 at 11:56:29AM -0400, Scott Ehrlich wrote:
> I've spent half the day googling various answers.   init 5 will not do
> anything.  startx and xinit do work, but don't provide the proper window
> manager nor X window sessions.

You'll need to fix that. Put something very simple in your
.xinitrc  -- like "xterm" -- and see if that works. Build your
way up.

> I also tried to install the ATI video driver, but that claimed an error in
> the end.

What does /etc/X11/xorg.conf say you are using? Does it match
with /var/log/Xorg.0.log ?

> I tried to comment out x:5:respawn... at #Run xdm in runlevel 5
> at the end of /etc/inittab then initiate init 5 from a tty session, but
> that didn't do any good.

Try telinit q then telinit 5. "q" means reload the inittab.

-dsr-

--

believed to be clean.