MySQL RANT was: PVR or DVR for Linux - NOT MythTV

> On 6/5/07, markw-FJ05HQ0HCKaWd6l5hS35sQ at public.gmane.org <markw-FJ05HQ0HCKaWd6l5hS35sQ at public.gmane.org> wrote:
>> Now, if you tell my that my properly constructed queries need to be
>> rewritten to work with MySQL, I will tell you instead that MySQL is
>> lacking basic SQL functionality.
>
> I took a course in college where we went into database design and
> optimization.  We used PostgreSQL over MySQL.  I found the same to be
> true of what you just said.  However, most people don't know that
> PostgreSQL's features are a super-set of MySQL.  And to be honest,
> probably most people who are using databases are using them
> inefficiently anyways and don't care.  Many people also associate LAMP
> and that's where their MySQL experience comes from.  If it didn't
> spell "lamp", that stack wouldn't be as successful.  Who wants to sit
> on my "LAPP" stack instead?  I think people get familiar with one
> implementation and forget the rest because it is so popular.  This
> happens all the time, even if a better product exists.  Everyone who
> knows databases already knows that PostgeSQL is of much higher
> quality.  You just have to worry about the rest of the people...

I could go on and on about software developers who ignore the nature of
databases. It drives me crazy. You wouldn't put up with a developer who
didn't understand or know the language they were developing in, why do
people put up with ignorance about databases if your application uses
them?

I can categorically say that *any* software developer that chooses MySQL
without a very specific reason should be fired. The "good enough" excuse
is laziness.

I know it is harsh to say, but your database can be a very important
component in your system, ignorance of the technology is inexcusable in a
professional setting.

> However, SQLite performance is a bit shabby, even in comparison to
> MySQL!!!

I use SQLite a lot when performance does not matter and flexibility is
important.

believed to be clean.