ubuntu isn't /that/ special [was: Re: fedora 7]

On Monday 04 June 2007 10:52:13 Kristian Hermansen wrote:
> On 6/4/07, Eugene Gorelik <eugene.gorelik-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> > Kristian,
> >
> > I think everyone respects your opinion, but you are the one who started
> > Ubuntu discussion in Fedora 7 topic and insisted that everyone should try
> > Ununtu.
> > There is nothing wrond with Ubuntu, but I think a lot of people haven't
> > tried it because of one of the following reasons:
>
> Ahh, heh, well I guess mentioning "ubuntu" in a Fedora thread was
> fopah.  However, I did think it was relevant to the gentleman who
> wanted something "slick rather easily.  I apologize if people took it
> the wrong way.  Hell, I run Fedora on a few machines at work.
> Probably going to install FC7 this week...

Minor nit: there is no FC7, its just F7. :)

Longer explanation: Core and Extras merged, so there is no Fedora Core and no
Fedora Extras, just Fedora, thus Fedora 7 instead of Fedora Core 7.

> > - It is unlikely that Ubuntu will have the same commercial success as
> > RedHat or SuSe and that's mean that companies won't pay you for that.
>
> You may be right.  But it is definitely the first Desktop version of
> Linux to be given the go-ahead by a major manufacturer, Dell, and that
> has major clought...

I know there's a difference between "Desktop" and "Workstation", but keep in
mind Red Hat Enterprise Linux Workstation has been shipping on Dell
workstations for quite a few years now.

> Although, does anyone really use Mandriva any longer?
> Is the user base slowly dying?

I definitely get that impression. Most of their best kernel people have left
town, and at least a few of them now work here at Red Hat... :)

--
Jarod Wilson
jarod-ajLrJawYSntWk0Htik3J/w at public.gmane.org

believed to be clean.