ubuntu isn't /that/ special [was: Re: fedora 7]

On Monday 04 June 2007 09:27:42 Kristian Hermansen wrote:
> On 6/4/07, Matthew Gillen <me-5yx05kfkO/aqeI1yJSURBw at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> > Does that somehow make what he said any less true?
>
> Jarod's statement "s/Ubuntu Feisty/Any Modern Distro/" is the issue,
> not his facts about Fedora...

Here's the original statement to which the substitution was applied:

> > If you want bells and whistles, then install Ubuntu Feisty and enable
> > Desktop Effects...
>
> s/Ubuntu Feisty/Any Modern Distro/ ...

And I'd have to say my being employed by Red Hat certainly doesn't make a lick
of difference as to the truth of this statement:

If you want bells and whistles, then install Any Modern Distro and enable
Desktop Effects.

It definitely holds for Ubuntu, Fedora and openSUSE. I still don't see why
there's any issue with that substitution... :)

> > So people aren't allowed to state facts if they haven't tried Ubuntu
> > first? All he was saying is that Fedora has Desktop Effects, and likely
> > just about any other modern distro does too.  Why would I have to try
> > Ubuntu to know that?
>
> You don't.  I never said you needed to.  But someone was looking for a
> slick interface easily and Feisty offers that support with one mouse
> click via "Enable Desktop Effects".  That is a fact and why I
> suggested it.  If Fedora/SuSE does the same just that easily, then I
> would also recommend them.  Do either FC7 or latest SuSE offer a
> one-click "Desktop Effects" option?

Not entirely certain what SUSE has for turning on desktop effects (I assume
its in YaST), but Fedora's route to turning on desktop effects is two clicks.
There's a "Desktop Effects" settings app in System -> Preferences -> Look and
Feel, which has an "Enable Desktop Effects" button. (I suppose it could take
3 clicks plus some dragging, but it ain't like its hard...)

> However, my point is that no one
> should take any one's opinion, even Jarod's or mine, as gospel.

+1 :)

--
Jarod Wilson
jarod-ajLrJawYSntWk0Htik3J/w at public.gmane.org