PVR or DVR for Linux - NOT MythTV

On Mon, Jun 04, 2007 at 09:09:25AM -0400, markw-FJ05HQ0HCKaWd6l5hS35sQ at public.gmane.org wrote:
> > Oh, sure, you can use cron, cat and mplayer if you buy MPEG2
> > hardware compressor cards and ATSC/QAM tuners. But where are you
> > going to get your scheduling information from? And is anyone
> > else in the house going to use it, or just you?
>
> Well, I don't know how your house works, but in my house, I'm the only one
> who ever knew how to program the VCR anyway, so using cron or something
> else doesn't bother me. Sheesh, I *still* have to operate the
> entertainment system because my wife will just pull out a portable CD
> player.

If that's what you're after -- you can probably write everything
you need in an afternoon.

Buy a Hauppauge PCI PVR-150 or 500 for analog, an HDHomeRun for HDTV,
and set them up. Scripts to record for a given duration are easy, and
both of those sources will create MPEG2 files. You can look up schedule
information online with tv.yahoo.com/listings. Playback with MPlayer
or VLC. You might want to buy a LIRC-compatible IR remote
control interface, or an IR keyboard.

-dsr-

--

believed to be clean.