PVR or DVR for Linux - NOT MythTV

On 6/3/07, Dan Ritter <dsr-mzpnVDyJpH4k7aNtvndDlA at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> Not really. Compare the installation wiki pages for Freevo vs
> the same for MythTV. One of these environments has a large
> community that supports it and has answered lots of questions...

That's a support issue, after you have run into problems.  However,
read what other users who compared mythtv and freevo:

"In general Freevo is easier to install, and easier to configure. I
also think there is more momentum behind Freevo, more development is
going into it. Finally, I like how Freevo is designed... it's
structured using the UNIX design principles of creating something
bigger our of various small parts. MythTV is more monolithic, which
makes it harder to troubleshoot and adapt to your needs. Don't get me
wrong, both can do the job, but I prefer Freevo :)"

"I personally use freevo.
the initial config is basic but several plugins allows to hugely enhance it.
I personnaly chose it because I wanted to learn python. Installation
is really easy (debian). Moreover, it's based on other software
(mplayer, xine..) and as a results inheritates the periodical
updates/improvments made to those pieces of software.
main unknows come from the fact that the developpers are currently
working on a huge update/rewrite/whatever to version 2.0 and there is
not much upgrades on the stable version of the software."

"Total time working on freevo to get a working system: 1 hour
Total time working on MythTV to get a non-working system: 4 hours
I guess my vote is going to Freevo. It works great, looks great, was
easy to setup and was relatively hassle free. Like most Linux
programs, there's not too much GUI configuration, everything is
command line. Maybe that's why it's so much easier to setup then Myth?
</saga>
Jeremy"

Obviously there are many other users who prefer freevo over mythtv for
some reason...
--
Kristian Hermansen

believed to be clean.