My new system

If you've been following my trials of getting a new machine, here's an
update:

The machine arrived a few days ago:

It only has one IDE port, but 6 SATA sockets. That's OK, I had 3 250G
drives in a RAID that I was never too thrilled with. I split up the RAID
and used those disks elsewhere and bought a WD SATA 500G disk for $120 at
Microcenter.

I had to buy a new SATA DVD drive (Microcenter $49)

No APG ports anymore, had to buy a PCI-X video card. $99

That's it for spending.

OK, now how does it work?

Well, its fast. REALLY fast. The dual-core scales multiple processes as
well as threads (one of my concerns), but I have a nagging feeling it does
not scale as well as a true SMP machine.

I installed Kubuntu Feisty 7.03, and all is well. The next step is to
install a 64bit distro on a partition.

believed to be clean.