PVR or DVR for Linux - NOT MythTV

On Sun, Jun 03, 2007 at 10:20:20PM -0400, markw-FJ05HQ0HCKaWd6l5hS35sQ at public.gmane.org wrote:
> Does anyone know of a good DVR/PVR for Linux that is not MythTV? I don't
> want to get into a holey war about MythTV, but it is difficult to set up
> and requires MySQL. I'm not going to MySQL just for one thing. I have a
> personal issue about applications being tightly linked with databases, and
> I have a real dislike of MySQL.
>
> So, anything usable? I mean, come on, its all there, you could practically
> use cron, so what's the deal? Is there one out there?

Not really.

Oh, sure, you can use cron, cat and mplayer if you buy MPEG2
hardware compressor cards and ATSC/QAM tuners. But where are you
going to get your scheduling information from? And is anyone
else in the house going to use it, or just you?

You can use Freevo, but that uses SQLite, and if you don't like
MySQL, you won't like that. You can buy SageTV, but then you
can't see the database (or the source) at all. You can try DVR,
which in today's release says "Also it is now possible to record
audio". And there's VDR, but if you aren't using a DVB card with
in and out capabilities, you're sunk.

-dsr-

--

believed to be clean.