web-based authentication software

Let me add some clarification to my original question:
I am currently using LDAP for central authentication, but I am looking for
the software which would use accounts from LDAP and map them to appropriate
web resources based on URL in order to manage authentication and
authorization and single sign on.
I use built-in Apache authentication for this purpose, but it's not
centralized and quite inflexible.

pubcookie is a good tool but it only provides authentication not
authorization.

Thanks,

Eugene.

On 5/29/07, gboyce <gboyce-qL0WqcyiFk9Wk0Htik3J/w at public.gmane.org> wrote:

> On Tue, 29 May 2007, Eugene Gorelik wrote:
>
> > Can someone recommend any open-source web-based authentication software
> > centrally control access to several Apache-based websites ?
>
> You should take a look at Pubcookie.  It is a web based SSO (single
> sign-on) implementation.  Its probably too heavy if you're looking to
> manage authentication on a handful of servers, but its very useful if
> there are more than that.
>
> http://www.pubcookie.org
>
> You setup a single authentication server which can use a variety of
> authentication methods like LDAP, AD, Kerberos or NIS.  Once authenticated
> to that server you obtain a cookie which lasts for a set number of hours,
> and allows you to log into to all websites that use that authentication
> server.
>
> The nice thing about this type of setup is that you don't have to worry
> about the owners of the various websites being able to sniff passwords in
> transit.
>
> --
> Greg

believed to be clean.