Pointing Hosted web to home server

I had suggested using something like slicehost but they want to work with
what they already have.  They are using comcast for an isp and they seem to
have no problems currently.  The worst part about working for someone like
this is no matter what in the end you have to do what they say no matter how
bad of a setup it is.

On 5/28/07, Joshua D. Abraham <jabra-1vnkWVZi4QaVc3sceRu5cw at public.gmane.org> wrote:

> On 28.May.2007 10:23PM -0400, Kristian Hermansen wrote:
>
> > On 5/28/07, Rusty Shackleford <rusty-5uWQAetEYB7jY0qkv+UzOQ at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> > >I am helping a few people setup the technical aspect of their small
> > >business.  They cannot afford hosted shared storage at the moment and
> dont
> > >have an office yet.  They put their website up on godaddy.com and they
> want
> > >to be able to for a netshare or cifs(samba) to go to the web address
> and
> > >have it pointed back to the server in one of their houses.  So before I
> > >came
> > >abord they have a freenas server but they have multiple people
> connecting
> > >and they dont want to have to change the ip on 5-10 computers everytime
> > >comcast changes the ip, they want to maybe have a page that redirects
> it or
> > >maybe a dns record that will point to it, does anyone have any
> expirience
> > >in
> > >this?  I was thinking setting up an srv record but that does not seem
> > >work.
> >
> > I'm not exactly sure what you are trying to do, but most ISPs filter
> > SAMBA/CIFS traffic (135-139/445)...
>
> Why not just use scp/sftp as it is not filtered by the ISP and
> also winscp is an easy interface if they wanta run windows.
>
> gftp is a nice client for linux.
>
> Jabra
>
> --
> Joshua D. Abraham
> Northeastern University
> College of Computer and Information Science
> www.ccs.neu.edu/home/jabra

believed to be clean.