KVM + Ubuntu HOWTO

Matthew Gillen wrote:
> I apologize if this was covered at a meeting, but could you elaborate a little
> on how KVM is different from Xen?  A cursory look at the documentation seems
> to use the same language (hypervisors and such) and architecture.  In other
> words, how is KVM "next gen"?

Xen is intrusive in the Linux kernel, and requires vast changes to even
make it work.  Also, to run Xen, you are *REQUIRED* to run a patched
kernel (-xen) which may break your environment.  This is why RHEL5 took
so long to get out the door.  And Linus and other Red Hat guys are
already frustrated with the numerous Xen patches required,

KVM, on the other hand, can run minimally with only one kernel module
(kvm-intel or kvm-amd) and one user space component.  Thus, it is easier
to maintain and you can run a standard kernel without all the nasty
patches that are necessary for Xen to run.

So, Xen got there first, but the consensus is that Xen may die quickly
if KVM takes off over the next year or so...
--
Kristian Hermansen

believed to be clean.