Testing a bad mobo/CPU/power-supply?

Derek Atkins wrote:
> When I hit the power button the fan doesn't turn on, the
> HDD doesn't spin up (when I have it attached)...  Nothing.

Most motherboards will pass through the power-up signal to the power
supply even with non-functioning RAM and CPU, so it sounds like you have
a wiring problem to the power switch, a bad motherboard, or a defective
power supply. You can pick up a power supply tester for under $20, or
try swapping it temporarily with another one to rule that out.

> The case doesn't have a bell so I don't know if there's
> something being sent there.

I don't think you're at a point yet where that will matter, but I'd
recommend scavenging a speaker off of another case for use after you get
the power issues resolved. Unless your motherboard has a numeric display
of the POST codes, the beeps will be your only guide to additional problems.

  -Tom

--
Tom Metro
Venture Logic, Newton, MA, USA