New Computer, what should I install?

I think other people answered all your other questions, so I'll just add this:
edit: I got busy and someone else gave a similar answer in the meantime, but
here's my $0.02

markw-FJ05HQ0HCKaWd6l5hS35sQ at public.gmane.org wrote:
> (3) If I have 64bit Linux, will GCC/G++ target 32bit environments?

Short answer: yes;
>From the gcc man page:
> While picking a specific cpu-type will schedule things appropriately for
> that particular chip, the compiler will not generate any code that does not
> run on the i386 without the -march=cpu-type option being used.

Check the "-mtune=cpu-type" and "march=cpu-type" command line switches.

> What's your personal experience with 64bit Linux?
Haven't had any problems lately.  When I first installed, there were all sorts
of fun issues like the proprietary NVidia drivers not supporting x86_64, no
flash plugin, etc (ie all that proprietary stuff you shouldn't have on your
box, but can't get away without).

Most of those issues are resolved by now though.

Matt

believed to be clean.