New Computer, what should I install?

> markw-FJ05HQ0HCKaWd6l5hS35sQ at public.gmane.org wrote:
>> After our discussions, I decided to buy an AMD Athlon 64X2 6000 dual
>> core
>> system. (Barebones + video + 4G RAM) (Oh! Does anyone remember when hard
>> disks were 4G? But I digress)
>
> Excellent decision :-)

Thanks, short of real SMP, it seemed like the best one out there.

>> I am currently using Kubuntu 6.10 on my desktop, CentOS 4.4 on my
>> servers,
>> RedHat RHEL 4.4 at work on one machine, Microsoft Windows XP at work on
>> another machine, Slackware on my robot project, and Kubuntu 6.10 on my
>> laptop.
>
> No BSD, eh?

I periodically have to use FreeBSD, but it isn't anything I install or use
unless I have a client that needs it. I mean, really, besides a few header
files, Linux and BSD development are basically the same.

>> (1) Is Linux 64bit "real?" i.e. everything works, or is it 90% of
>> everything works and some don't?
>
> I have run Linux on AMD64 since 2004.  It has vastly improved since that
> time (Gentoo was only distro that supported it nicely -- many bugs).
> Nowadays, I have no issues with the Open Source side of things.  Very
> rarely do I encounter a 64-bit issue.  The only issue is with
> proprietary software like Sun's Java browser plugin, Adobe Flash, Adobe
> Acrobat, etc.  However, I have been able to workaround all these issues,
> except for Sun's Java browser plugin.  However, word on the street is
> that Sun will release an official 64-bit browser plugin early next year.

Sigh, I thought that was the case. When it comes time to upgrade my
servers, I'd go 64bit with no second thoughts. My "home" machine, I like
to surf the net and other "user" stuff, that's why I use Kubuntu. If
there's no flash, I can't hit some of the sites I like, so 64bit won't
work for me yet.

>> (2) If I have 64bit Linux, will 32bit apps run?
>
> Yes.  Install ia32-libs, lib32*, etc.  I even cross-compile Windows
> 32-bit applications from my 64-bit Linux!  I do it all the time with gcc.
>
>> (3) If I have 64bit Linux, will GCC/G++ target 32bit environments?
>
> Yes.  Just install the necessary 32-bit packages and you can compile for
> 32-bit using the -m32 gcc option.
>
>> (4) Should I just use 32bit until 64bit is real (ignore if #1 is "yes")
>
> Up to you.  I run 64-bit every day.  Even got my Broadcom Wireless
> running under Ndiswrapper using a native 64-bit Windows driver :-)  I
> wrote the HOWTO on Ubuntuforums for this.  Google it if you need
> Broadcom support on 64-bit Linux...
>
>> What's your personal experience with 64bit Linux?
>
> LOVE IT LOVE IT LOVE IT :-)  OK, so now your brain has been corrupted.
> But even so, Linux gives you the power to choose.  Have fun choosing...

What is better in 64bit than it is in 32bit? and why?

believed to be clean.