New Computer, what should I install?

markw-FJ05HQ0HCKaWd6l5hS35sQ at public.gmane.org wrote:
> Sigh, I thought that was the case. When it comes time to upgrade my
> servers, I'd go 64bit with no second thoughts. My "home" machine, I like
> to surf the net and other "user" stuff, that's why I use Kubuntu. If
> there's no flash, I can't hit some of the sites I like, so 64bit won't
> work for me yet.

I use Flash on AMD64, so maybe you misinterpreted my post.  I can go to
Youtube and such, just as I would with 32-bit Linux.  You just need to
use nspluginwrapper.  It works for everything except Sun's Java plugin.
http://gwenole.beauchesne.info/projects/nspluginwrapper/

> What is better in 64bit than it is in 32bit? and why?

One requires a 64-bit system to hack/test 64-bit code, which I do
occasionally.  Additionally, transcoding videos can actually be much
faster, and is why I went 64-bit initially.  I will have to come up with
a test case for you (like -> mencoder foo.avi ...), but you would need
to verify it on a 32-bit install.  Of course, 32-bit on 64-bit hardware
is no slouch either, and X2 hardware has some great stuff that is
pertinent even in 32-bit environments.  I have read white papers and
know from experience that it is faster on 64-bit for video transcoding.
  However, my knowledge of the hardware details ends there, so you
should talk to some EEs @ AMD...
--
Kristian Hermansen

believed to be clean.