Converting a non-RAID server to software RAID-1?

On 5/9/07, Tom Metro <blu at vl.com> wrote:
> John Abreau wrote:

> Yes, that's the procedure I'd follow.
>
> One step you left out is optionally creating an LVM volume on the RAID-1
> array, unless the expectation is that the dd operation will move the
> existing one over. LVM can introduce some complications in this
> area...you have to be careful that you don't end up with two volumes
> with the same name. There may also be dependencies on device name or UUID.

The existing server uses LVM already; sda1 is /boot and sda2 is LVM.
I was thinking of just dd'ing the LVM and then creating an additional
LVM volume in the extra space on the new hard drive; but it would be
cleaner to just make one big LVM on sdb2, and then dd the individual
LVs from within the old VG.

Ultimately the best choice will be the one that minimizes downtime.
Although if I'm lucky, I'll be able to add the new drive without rebooting,
and then the downtime will be limited to the one reboot to remove the
old drive and test the new degraded drive. If that works out, I can do
everything else while the server is live.

GnuPG KeyID: 0xD5C7B5D9 / Email: abreauj at gmail.com
GnuPG FP: 72 FB 39 4F 3C 3B D6 5B E0 C8 5A 6E F1 2C BE 99

believed to be clean.