kernel modules

Matthew Gillen wrote:

> You're not dense, that's pretty cryptic documentation.  I'd try the following
> in succession until one worked (independently first, then maybe in combination):
> 1) add "hdx=noprobe" to your kernel command line, where 'x' is the old IDE
> name for the device (ie 'a' for Primary on first IDE, 'd' for Secondary on
> second IDE)  (you can also try 'ideX=noprobe, which should be equivalent)
> 2) add "libata.atapi_enabled=0" to your kernel command line
> 3) add "combined_mode=ide" to your kernel command line (this will probably
> make your hard drives appear as hdxx instead of sdxx)
> 4) add "libata=0" to your kernel command line (same effect as #2 on your
> device names)
>
> Good luck,
> Matt

Thanks Matt,
I already added item 3 to the command line with no effect. I
don't think libata is fully implimented in Fc6 as it is in
Fc7, my drives are still recognized as hdx. I will try the
steps you outlined, but I may have to add them to
modprobe.conf instead. I did google libata.atapi which
returned a number of posts from developer sites that were
informative but not conclusive. Most of it was from 2005
which leads me to believe that the development interest has
trailed off. They got it to work with most common hardware
like HDD's and CD/DVD's and considered it successful. Most
people who have atapi tape drives use streaming software
like amanda or bacula or commercial software and use the
ide-scsi work around. I just use a script that Glen
Burkhardt of this lug supplied me, which has worked
flawlessly for five years. I use the tar / dd commands of
this script to write to the tape.

Jim KR

believed to be clean.