ssh ports

unfortunately, i can't change the location of the server.  it was moved
behind the firewall for security purposes (obviously).  it would take an act
of congress to move back out again.  prior to being behind the firewall, scp
worked well (no complaints anyway).  the firewall is setup to only allow one
host inside our network to access this server and still allow connections
from the 'net.  so, i'm limited in what configuration changes i can make.
'googling, i found several references to mtu settings.  testing this morning
shows that small files (less than 10k) transfer very quickly.  as the file
size goes up (last test 50k), the transfer completes quickly, but closing
the connection takes longer as the file size increases.
the network guy collected debugs on traffic between the two servers, we
could see the traffic moving along nicely until about 144k into the file
(500k), scp reports stalled, and no further packets are seen in the debugs.
after some amount of time (always more than 30 seconds, sometimes 3
minutes), the transfer resumes.  we can see the traffic startup again in the
debug. but, there aren't any requests to resume in the debugs.
i'll keep y'all posted on the outcome.
thanks.

--
If it ain't broke, you're not trying hard enough!

believed to be clean.