Topic change: ethics; was Sysadmin job opening up at my company inWoburn, MA

>>> -Must be able to obtain Secret security clearance

Before applying our brainpower to something, we might wish to consider
what it is we're building.

A few years ago, given the proliferation of complete lawlessness I was
observing in the US government, I had asked the question of CPSR
(Computer Professionals for Social Responsibility) if their code of
ethics covered working for US agencies, either directly or as part of a
far-flung support apparatus.  Not all agencies mind you, for some of
them are at least trying to do some good, although these days the whole
of national government is in my view subverted.  EPA has been squashed
and its enforcement power practically made mute; FDA is basically a
pharmaceutical company clearinghouse, although new legislation would
give it back some legs.  The Forest Service basically provides maps and
saws to logging interests.  Social Security has turned out to be a war
chest.  Other agencies that are supposed to put citizens first in time
of need are staffed with incompetents and hacks resulting in, for
example, the sloth, waste, abuse and criminal negligence surrounding
Hurricane Katrina.

And then there's stellar agencies like FBI, CIA, NSA, DOD, and a host of
other cutesy acronyms that comprise an even darker soup.

Well, it turns out CPSR has no platform as such.  Pieces in the code of
ethics (they come in one form that is irritatingly titled "10
commandments") cover a few basics.  Yet in my view not strongly enough.

I will dig potatoes before assisting a lawless government to spy,
kidnap, torture, bomb, harass its own citizens, and take over the
planet.  I would think that others, who understand the full measure of
how their good work and toil are being used, might reconsider.

My suggestion to CPSR was that there be a place where computer
scientists, technicians, and others with the kind of knowledge and
skills which make the current US mal-administration's wild ramblings
tick might have to go in order to share their common ideals and develop
a platform that attracts others.  It doesn't exist.  It seems that these
decisions are quite individual (as they should be), but that there may
well be a need for something to be organized.

Now I am waiting for a reply to this which says in-re a "place to go",
"to hell", or apologetic around "national defense", or supporting our
"way of life", etc.  It's not my intention so much to enter into a
political debate, although in this day certainly politics swirls around
almost every topic.  I recognize my argument will claim to be ethical
while not weighing the good against the not so good.  It is also
simplistic and undeveloped.   And a goal to organize such a stand may be
quite unpopular.

It would be a difficult "coming out" for professionals who choose to
live out their world-view and wish to influence others, but I should
think it would be worth it and there might well be plenty of others who
share, and live out, the same views.

Thoughts here?

believed to be clean.