Debian or Ubuntu?

>> I've been pleased with Ubuntu up until yesterday, when upgrading my
>> laptop to the latest version made X give me some cryptic complaint
>> related to keyboard drivers and made my wireless card stop working.
>>
>> I spent most of the day trying to figure out how to turn off zeroconf,
>> because I thought the 169.254.0.0 showing up in my routing table was the
>> source of the wireless trouble, but now I'm thinking that
>> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux-source-2.6.20/+bug/78255
>> is the real bug.

The workaround described on the link fixed (well, worked around) the
problem with my wireless card.  The keyboard problem turned out to be a
change in the xkb database, such that the name used for the Israeli
keyboard configuration no longer existed; removing an obsolete package
and going back to the keyboard configuration dialog box resolved this
problem as well.

So I can go back to recommending Ubuntu.

But don't use a wireless card with an RTL 818x chipset if you can
possibly avoid it.

believed to be clean.