Moving a MySQL installation?

Ward Vandewege wrote:
> Kristian Hermansen wrote:
>> Can you simply move 4.x /var/lib/ data to a 5.x installation and have
>> it work?
>
> Last time I did this (on Debian or Ubuntu), MySQL automatically upgraded the
> tables...

Right, but the trick is that you'd have to start by installing a 4.x
version on the new machine, and then upgrade it. Otherwise I don't think
it would pick up that the table format is obsolete and upgrade them on
server startup. If you poke around, you can probably find the table
upgrade scripts and run them manually, which would avoid needing to
install the old version first.

But by the time you're done with those extra steps, it would probably
have been faster to use mysqldump, unless the databases are huge.

  -Tom

--
Tom Metro
Venture Logic, Newton, MA, USA