FIOS

On Friday 13 April 2007 08:25, dan at geer.org uttered thusly:
> NSDI was just held in Cambridge[1].  One of the
> poster sessions involved some pretty convincing
> numbers which show that P2P (including VoIP)
> cannot much grow as long as asymmetric bandwidth
> allocation policies are in place at the ISPs,
> and that latency issues are especially potent
> deterrents.
>
> I don't use FIOS, but does it do asymmetric
> allocation (X upstream v. X/5 downstream)?

Yes, typically 2Mbit/s upstream, 5/15/...MBit/s downstream, depending on the
level of service you have.

They seem to be rather stubborn on the 2Mbit upstream limitation. You do a
bit better with business class service, I think. I do know of someone who
managed to get a full symmetric T3 bandwidth through Fios, but he had to
pull some strings at Verizon to do it.

Other than that limitation, having a 5/2 Mbit/s D/U rate for just $35 per
month doesn't suck. And having had Fios for about a year now, I've not had a
single problem with it -- been up to speed and rock-solid reliable, which is
far more I can say for any other service I've ever had. And I've been
through them all -- DSL, Cable Modem, ISDN, Frame Relay. The only thing I
have not tried is satellite, but that's very slow and very expensive.

--
--Fred Mitchell, 603-557-5986
  Planetary Server

believed to be clean.