IIC Internet Virtual servers

Jerry Feldman wrote:

> From the Verizon web site:
> "Verizon FiOS Internet Service consumer packages include 10 MB of
> personal Web space. The consumer offers do not permit customers to host
> any type of server, personal or commercial".

And that's one of the reasons I'll be a really unhappy camper if all the
alternatives disappear, and the only service options are from companies
with similar restrictions on their services.

The bind I'm in: I run my own email server. I use IMAP to read my mail.
I use more than one computer to read my mail, so I really want my mail
to stay on the server and be available regardless of which computer I
happen to be sitting in front of.

Moving that server out of my house -- no matter how fast my internet
connection might be -- will be a reduction in quality of my service.
Even if the pipe were as fast (and 100Mbps service to the home isn't
coming tomorrow), the latency is two orders of magnitude higher. (The
ping time to a server in my house is a fraction of a millisecond.)

Reading my mail via IMAP will inherently be a less pleasant experience
if I'm forced to locate the server somewhere else. And it won't decrease
the load on the ISP's network one bit; the message will move over their
wire at least once either way.

The FIOS ToS would also seem to prohibit being a full participant in a
BitTorrent download (that is, also offering pieces of the download to
other participants). I suppose that might be exactly their intent;
Verizon is inherently opposed to anything that can help democratize the
distribution of data. How could they extort content providers for extra
payments for "premium" access to their network when EVERYBODY is a
content provider?

believed to be clean.