IIC Internet Virtual servers

Kristian Hermansen wrote:
> Interestingly, have you ever read your ISPs terms of service in
> detail?  When my father signed up for Adelphia 8 years ago or so (no
> other high-speed around the area) I actually read through it.  The
> terms clearly stated...
>
> "...assumes all ownership for any ideas, communication, and
> technologies produced and transmitted via this service..."

Someone else pointed out recently (on this list perhaps, or maybe I saw it on
slashdot), that Comcast has (or had, I saw it a while ago, but can't find it
now) the a very similar thing in their agreement.  In one line, they said they
weren't responsible for anything, then in the next line claimed copyright on
anything going over their wires.  Since I can't find it now, maybe they came
to their senses and removed that clause...

> So, if you write some proprietary code, and upload to your web server,
> Adelphia now has the right to use your source code.  It's ridiculous,
> but no one ever reads the terms of service.

It's also completely unenforceable.  If you use ssh/ssl for all your important
traffic, they can't prove what you're doing anyway.

Matt

believed to be clean.