zoneEdit

James Kramer wrote:
> I remember in the past someone from BLU commented that it is possible to
> request the ISP to associate user domain names to assigned dynamic IP
> addresses.  Is this possible?

Your ISP doesn't have anything to do with resolving your domain name, unless
they happen to be your domain's DNS provider (no ISP I've ever used
(Verizon, Comcast) does this for non-commercial customers).  They will
however own the reverse lookup of your IP address, which can bite you with
certain domain's spam filters that look for mail coming from DCHP addresses.

That said, it's perfectly possible to use a third-party static DNS service
with a DHCP address.  I've done it successfully for years now (I use
Dotster).  It's somewhat painful compared to a static-IP setup though:
 - When upgrading kernels, I'm careful about unplugging my ethernet before
shutting my box so that I don't release my IP, then plug it back before
booting back up.
 - Once in a blue moon my ISP futzes with the network and changes the
subnets around, and I'm forced to get a new address.  Then I have to
manually make a change to my static DNS config and wait for it to propagate.
This has happened twice in three years, so not a big deal, but still an
irritation.

I've used dyndns too, but mostly just tinkering, since I don't really want
my email address to be some domain that I don't own.

Matt

believed to be clean.