How to enable virtualization?

AFAIK, KVM is also in FC7 which is in beta now if I'm not mistaken.

Just to clarify, VMWARE is going to support "full" virtualization which
will utilize VTx (Intel x86) or SVx (AMD).  So considering full-virt,
the second generation of hardware assisted virt technologies should
greatly increase speed and also likely enable live migration type
operations which xen cannot do (full virt).

Considering para-virt, performance trump vmware and live migration works
like a charm (as demo'd at the March BLU meeting).

The kernel flags (if you cat /proc/cpuinfo) that you are looking for are
'vmx' (on Intel) and svm (on AMD)

Christoph

On Thu, 2007-03-29 at 12:12 -0400, Kristian Hermansen wrote:
> On 3/29/07, Jerry Feldman <gaf at blu.org> wrote:
> > Just a couple of bits, currently VMWare does not use this technology.
> > As presented in our meeting last December, they stated that they
> > benchmark faster without it.
> >
> > However, Xen and Virtual Iron do use it.
>
> And KVM requires it:
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kernel-based_Virtual_Machine
>
> KVM is expected to surpass Xen in a year.  It is less intrusive to the
> kernel than Xen, and kernel devs are a little upset about having to
> accept large patches to accommodate it.  Keep an eye on it.  It is
> mainline since 2.6.20...
> --
> Kristian Hermansen

believed to be clean.