Laptops with ATI video cards

Still trying to decide on a laptop.  Still running around in circles
because there's so much conflicting information out there.  I'm almost
ready to go to the next meeting, pick someone's laptop on it at random,
and buy one of those.

I'm currently looking at the Lenovos. The only models currently made
with 15.4" screens are the T60p, which has a ATI Mobility Fire GL V5250
video card.  However, I found this:
http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Problems_with_fglrx
which describes problems with the ATI driver including lockups, loss of
accelleration,etc.

However, I also found this
http://www.protomatter.com/t60p/
which describes no such problems.

Which should I believe?

Can I choose to simply not install the fancy driver?  Am I only giving
up 3D (not a problem for me), or would I be giving up more?

Ugh.  Anyone have a laptop with a similar ATI video card?

Thanks.  I need to make a decision just so I stop driving myself crazy.

believed to be clean.