IPTables Forward chain confusion..

Hello all (and as always thanks in advance)

I screwing around trying to learn IPTables. I pretty good and understanding
the INPUT & OUTPUT chains, and I'm manipulating then nicely. What I dont
seem to grasp is the FORWARD chain & when it is used.
I jot down quickly how I think it is ueed and maybe someone can confirm or
point me to a better understanding:

the scenario (the home network)
I have dd-wrt (linux for your linksys)  installed on my router. my home
network is just a single network and no subnets.
so in this example the FORWARD chain never get used because... (and here is
my guess) Forward is used to forward between subnets on my network (if I had
any) or to my dmz.

just in cause you want to point me to the netfilter site.. that is where I
went to (mis)learn thus far :)

is this how FORWARD it is used?

thanks & see you Wednesday
Myrle

Myrle A. Francis 2nd

PgpServer(s): pgp.mit.edu

Type bits /keyID    Date       User ID
pub  1024D/30BDB814 2006/07/27 Myrle A. Francis 2nd <mafmanet at gmail.com>
     Key fingerprint = 73E3 6EAF EC29 29A3 94F9  6C78 F427 0FE8 30BD B814

believed to be clean.