printer(/copier/etc.) recommendations?

Seth Gordon wrote:
> ...I should look into those print/copy/fax/scan models.
>
> (FWIW, photo-quality reproduction has never been a priority for us.)

Given that you don't need photo-quality output, I'm wondering if you
might get better long term value from a unit based on a black-and-white
or color laser printer engine, rather than inkjet. I think there are
multi-function machines based on laser printers aimed at the business
market.

Jerry Feldman wrote:
> I would probably get a similar model with...network connectivity.
> With network, I would not have to deal with my wife's Windows system.

Are there any multi-function printers that work well for not just
printing, but the other functions as well, over a network? I know there
are a few that use special drivers in Windows to pull that off. Does
HP's support for Linux extend to providing that capability on Linux?

> Epson makes a good printer, but the last one I had died.

A while ago I looked into repairing an Epson with clogged heads and
while researching the problem I learned it was a chronic problem with a
large family of their models. Tons of consumer complaints about printers
that became unusable after a year or so. That soured me to the brand.

> What brands would I avoid:
> Canon... Specifically Canon does not support Linux at all.

That's disappointing to hear. In the last few years Canon is often at
the top of the list for photo reproduction quality.

Anyone tried out the new Kodak inkjet printers? Their major selling
point is that they supposedly break from the "razor blade" business
model and price their inks more reasonably. The sales literature boasts
about the cost-per-page of their printers. But I wonder how they'd stack
up against other printers using third party inks.

  -Tom

--
Tom Metro
Venture Logic, Newton, MA, USA