TIP: Compiz Features and Shortcuts

Kristian Hermansen wrote:
> Microsoft's Windows Vista and Apple's Mac OS X both have modernized
> the desktop in recent releases.  Since OpenSUSE and Ubuntu are
> bringing compiz to the masses, the "Desktop Effects" era is upon us.
> Here is a list of compiz-related features and shortcuts.  You will
> want to keep these handy in conjunction with the release of Ubuntu
> Feisty, which officially comes out in a few weeks.  Turning on
> Ubuntu's "Desktop Effects" is as simple as clicking one checkbox after
> installation.  This comes a long way from the days when I had to jump
> through hoops to get compiz running in 2005.  And it is much faster as
> well.  One of the greatest features is native transparency, which is
> as simple as ALT+(mousewheel up/down) while hovering over an
> application.  But this is just one of the many features available.
> Here is a full list and how to use those features:
>
> http://en.opensuse.org/Compiz

I tried Compiz when it came out in Fc6, but I had other
troubles that kept me from using the necessary kmod-nvidia
module and didn't explore it much. After I cleared up those
issues I tried beryl and have had that running ever since.
On the Fedora forums beryl is the feature 3D App. so I will
be curious if compiz will now get any serious play on that
distribution. From reading the description from the site you
linked I see that the features are more integrated with the
gconf file and thus the editor for that. I would prefer the
separate manager like what is provided in beryl because
there are so many settings to tweak. Don't want to say too
much as compiz may turn out to be the more polished App.

Jim K-R

believed to be clean.