Intel Core Duo

Jerry Feldman wrote:

> Not all the
> Core Duos are 64-bit, but I believe that based on my prior research
> that Intel is now only producing 64-bit chips. Unlike AMD, Intel's
> chip names do not include 64. You could get a Pentium with 32-bits or
> 64-bits. AMD on the other hand markets their chips as Turion64 or
> Athlon64.

The short guide to Intel and 64 bits:

1. All Core 2 series chips are 64-bit.

2. All Pentium D chips are 64-bit.

3. The Core Duo and Core Solo (not to be confused with Core 2 Duo) are
NOT 64-bit capable. They're really revised versions of the Pentium-M,
which was based on the same microarchitecture as the Pentium 3. These
are mostly found in laptops, though there were a few desktop systems,
notably the first generation of Intel-based iMac and Mac Mini.

4. The Pentium-M and Pentium 3 are not 64-bit.

5. To the best of my knowledge, no Celeron to date has 64-bit
capability. Eventually, Intel will likely shut down production of all
CPUs not based on the Core 2 architecture, and will start making Core 2
Celerons; those will presumably be 64-bit capable unless they choose to
disable it on purpose. (Also note that the somewhat misleadingly-named
Celeron D is NOT a dual-core processor.)

6. SOME Pentium 4 chips are 64-bit capable. This is where you'll have to
check the individual chip number.

As for virtualization support, I believe that all Core 2 series chips
have it. Some of the previous generation of Xeon chips (the Pentium 4
variants designed for servers) also did. So far as I know, other Intel
chips don't. Virtualization is possible on CPUs that lack the special
support (VMware has been doing it for years), but it won't run quite as
well.

Unless you're building a seriously budget-constrained system or
upgrading an existing box, the only Intel CPUs I would recommend buying
at this time are the Core 2 Duo series, or the quad-core members of the
family if you have money to burn.

AMD indeed makes life easier, though not quite perfectly. Anything
called an Opteron or anything with 64 in its name is 64-bit capable. But
there is also the Sempron series. Current Semprons are really Athlon64
chips with reduced cache, and are 64-bit capable. But the first
generation of Sempron chips based on the AMD64 architecture had the
64-bit capability disabled; fortunately, there aren't a lot of those out
there.

believed to be clean.