Help me pick a CPU/Mobo

On 3/23/07, David Kramer <david at thekramers.net> wrote:
> Right now I have a AMD Athlon XP 2400+ (with will be quite an upgrade
> from my daughter's current Celeron 466 or so).  It's almost always 95%
> idle or more.  But I just got MythTV up and running (next meeting,
> anyone?).  I have hardware encoding so recording isn't a problem, but
> when I need to transcode video with ffmpeg, it gets slammed.  And if I
> try to do that while it's recording, the box sometimes locks up cold and
> needs to be rebooted.

You could deal with the current situation by using nice to lower the
priority of ffmpeg.  That way the box won't lock up, and you can still
run MythTV at the same time :-)

> So I'm looking for CPU/motherboard recommendations, and for someone to
> tell me I'm stupid for being afraid of 64 bit.

If you really want a new one (AMD64-based, multi-core):
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16856110057
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103747

$265 for mobo+cpu+case
--