Gmail's spam filtering

On 3/22/07, Tom Metro <blu at vl.com> wrote:
> Their technique is pretty simple, and essentially it does work as you
> originally speculated before you found the paper. The technique can be
> summed up as:

Nice writeup :-)  I read the paper, but it's still good to hear
someone else's take on it...

> > However, Gmail catches them every time :-)
>
> I wouldn't say every time. But it does a darn good job. I primarily use
> Gmail via POP, so it is inconvenient to reclassify messages, but have
> done so on a few occasions - both for false positives and false
> negatives. Perhaps a few times a quarter I'll get some spam. More
> frequently for spam redistributed by mailing lists.

Statistically, for the amount of email I receive, I get SPAM from
Gmail 0% of the time.  And even the SPAM I get is stuff that I usually
signed up for accidentally through proxy (online ordering, etc).  I
would estimate that I get 1 genuine SPAM message per month.  And this
message usually addresses me by name, and then goes into how much
money I can make if I would just fly to Zaire and accept the
$4,000,000 deposit into my bank account...
--
Kristian Hermansen

believed to be clean.