configuration management tool for Linux

Eugene Gorelik wrote:
> Thanks Mat, I think Webmin is a good GUI tool for management of a single
> system, but it doesn't seem that it can simultaneously make config
> changes on multiple servers.

http://www.webmin.com/cgi-bin/search_third.cgi?category=Cluster
The "Cluster *" modules do operations on multiple servers (that also have
webmin installed).

I don't think all the operations are supported (ie the DNS/BIND config), but
things like user/group changes, edit cron jobs, install packages, copy files,
or shell commands are all Cluster-able things Webmin can do.

Admittedly, those things don't buy you that much over some clever scripts
using ssh.

Matt

> On 3/22/07, *Matthew Gillen* <me at mattgillen.net
> <mailto:me at mattgillen.net>> wrote:
>
>     Eugene Gorelik wrote:
>     > I wonder if anyone could recommend a decent centralized configuration
>     > management tool.
>     >
>     > In my environment I have multiple RedHat servers with identical
>     > configuration and let's say that I need to change one a value in
>     the same
>     > configuration file on all of them.
>     > Currently I am running scripts which are using SSH to go through
>     all these
>     > servers and make this change, but I am looking for more organized
>     approach,
>     > which would allow me to create some customized rules and policies and
>     > manage
>     > configurations from one place.
>     >
>     > I saw one tool which could do that - *Cfengine
>     > **http://www.cfengine.org/*<http://www.cfengine.org/>
>     > and heard mixed opinions about it, so I am curious if anyone is using
>     > *Cfengine
>     > *or can recommend any other tools.
>
>     A long time ago I was a fan of Webmin
>     http://www.webmin.com/
>
>     They have some "cluster" operations where you can do the same
>     operation on a
>     bunch of machines.
>
>     YMMV, like I said, I haven't used it in a while.  But it looks like
>     it's still
>     actively developed.
>
>     Matt

believed to be clean.