Source for refurbished Tape Drives or Drive Repair

Kristian Hermansen wrote:
> On 3/18/07, jbk <jbk at mail2.gis.net> wrote:
>> Distributing multiple backups amongst multiple computers
>> would require more computers than the two plus laptop I
>> have. Setting up a simple backup scheme to distribute backup
>> data amongst these may take me longer than the two or three
>> days shipping it will take to order a new tape drive. I only
>> have nights and weekends to dabble in computers, and most
>> nights I'm too tired. Now that the weather is warming
>> boating season is starting and I will be out on the rivers
>> West of here and I just won't have enough time.
>> I know the limitations of my backup scheme and that is it's
>> best feature.
>
> Interesting.  It does seem like the best fit for what you are doing
> since you are only replacing certain files and not everything.  So
> your probability of hitting a corrupted tape sector is much less.
>
> I also found it interesting that you alternate system partitions
> between upgrades.  That's actually a really good idea to protect
> against botched upgrades!!!  I might steal that trick :-)
Thanks
Well guess what?
I just accessed the old tape drive. It is now nst0 instead
of nht0.
When I posted my bug on redhat and then canceled when I
thought it was a hardware problem, I got a reply from the RH
maintainers to the effect that Now that the atapi protocal
has been deprecated '?' by the libata module they had to
deal with the fallout. This isn't word for work but is the
essence I got out of the reply.
It's nice to know that after the fact. I know I'm probably
miss interpreting what is going on but it still seems a
little under the table to me.
What do you know?

Jim K-R

believed to be clean.